Thursday, October 11, 2012

44 days drug free.

I'm pretty sure I make it sound like my kid has a drug problem...poor thing.

It's been a month since I last blogged and ALOT has happened. Lets say no news was good news. :)

After his last drop to 29,000 we went into children's and they were easing me into the idea of maybe needing to do another IVIG if it had dropped more that week. I said ok and we did the blood draw. It was late in the afternoon so I didn't get the results before we left DC. Our new doctor is so amazing that when that happens she calls me at night as soon as she gets the results. It was 67,000!!!! We were all blown away!! The week after that...104,000!!! The week after that 112,000!
Talk about being on cloud nine. I can't express how happy we have been. I still treat him like a fragile egg and I'm starting to think I always will. I just know how quickly that number can dive and I'm still always remembering that in the back of my mind. I read yesterday that the body makes 30,000-50,000 new platelets everyday and of course the body can kill them even faster.
The increase in numbers has also made me a little spoiled I must admit. First of all the feeling in my stomach as I pull into the parking lot before a draw. Ugh. It's a feeling of nausea i'll never be able to fully explain. Then that feeling doubles after the blood draw until results. Anyway, it wasn't that long ago that I would hope and say a prayer in the parking lot that he would be at least 50,000. I would tell myself I'll be 100% happy if he just stays above 50,000. So now I'm spoiled. Today his platelets were 104,000 down from 112,000 and for a few minutes I was disappointed. I know... I'm crazy. I guess we are just so close to being "normal range" that I had my hopes up. He does have a nasty cold and fever though (the bonus of having 3 sisters in school=lots of germs). I'm sure that didn't help matters. See. I'm looking for reasons already. I've also already spent 45 mins researching if a cold cause cause platelets to drop.
I guess I just will always have this fear of it dropping. When he starts walking and falling or goes to preschool... Lord help me. I'm going to go insane. I'll be insisting he wear a helmet. Or a medical bracelet. Or hide in the bushes at recess. Yep. Poor kid is going to hate me...

(Photo of Mavy playing at Mommom and Aunt Shell's office)

No comments:

Post a Comment