Friday, April 13, 2012

Today is the day.

Today is the day that we agreed to start steroids. I guess we didn't hold out very long. I talked to 4 different doctors about this before deciding. A hematologist, an immunologist and 2 pediatricians. Everyone told me the same thing, that this was the next best step and that babies do very well with them. They are hoping that he won't need them any longer then a month and the all the side effects like bone weakness ect mainly happen with people on them for a lot longer. So, here we go.
The first week will be a higher dose and then it will drop each week. His platelets dropped to 41,000 today. That's a drop of 43,000 in 8 days. Atleast this is a medicine I can do at home. The thought of another trip to the sedation unit and another IV treatment makes me nauseous... This also eliminates the risk of getting sick at the hospital, infections...ect. Less office visits... I'm still trying to convince myself we made the right choice, can you tell?!
His ANC level did go from 240-1400!!!! That was AMAZING news! It figures it would go up on the day we meet with a new specialist, an immunologist for that exact thing. Either way. We were very pleased with the idea of a second look and set of ideas on Mavy Man. They drew more blood and are going to look deeper into his immune system and how it's functioning since typically ITP does not bother the white cell count.
So...it was a long day of doctors! I did manage to get the final family passport!!! Woohoo!!! I pray PRAY PRAYYY Mavy is well enough to make this trip in June. It will absolutely crush the girls to cancel the cruise to Alaska. Mahala has asked me 10 times already if we can still go. I'm already trying to figure out how to keep a mask on a 6 month olds face on the plane ride...I don't see that happening. :( I can't think that far ahead right now. I need to only think about tonight. I'm going to need all my energy to actually give my tiny baby his first dose of steroids :(


No comments:

Post a Comment