Sunday, April 15, 2012

A Sunday blessing.

Today has been insane and it's not even over. I had 4 sessions. Yes. A full work day. I can't remember the last time a day wasn't broken in half for a trip to fairfax to draw blood.
We started the steroids yesterday. I delayed it a day because I'm a big ol whimp and I don't know if it's from that or what but he is a cranky boy. Doesn't want to sleep unless it's while nursing. So on top of 4 sessions I think I've had 12-14 nursing sessions already AND it's sweet little Solana's 3rd birthday. We are heading to the Japanese steakhouse for birthday dinner now. With everything going on her birthday snuck right up on me. I feel so unprepared. However I'm hoping at 3 she won't notice. Dinner and presents...we did manage to pull together at least. We bought her a bike and doctors kit. I'm fully expecting her to run over one of her sisters just to play doctor.
In between all the madness today the awesome immunologist that we met on Friday took the time to call me. On a Sunday! The panel of tests he ran on Mavy's immune system all came back perfectly normal. That means that now we've been told that his bone marrow AND immune system are all in healthy working order!!! He said that he doesn't think this is any sort of autoimmune disorder and that he thinks all this will resolve itself eventually and the steroids will help keep him stable in the mean time. I'm so excited to hear this news and so scared to believe it too. I feel like every time we've gotten good news it's always followed with some bad. I asked him why is Mav so neutropenic (low white cells that fight infection) because if he only has ITP that isn't something ITP causes. He asked me when his neutrophils started to drop. I said on the march 14 blood count. The day AFTER his first IVIG treatment and he said ah yes. I've seen some studies where dropping neutrophils were a reaction to IVIG! Hearing that made me feel so much better. I hope he's right...

1 comment:

  1. What wonderful news to read. All the prayers and excellent medical care.. and of course, a loving family, have brought him to his point. May God continue to bless you all with more and more good new.

    ReplyDelete